A recent study details the ten most dangerous intersections for accidents in Indianapolis
The study, conducted by Indiana University Public Policy Institute in cooperation with other organizations, concluded the following information:
- The least dangerous intersection was South Post Road and East Washington Street (eastside Indianapolis) with 22 accidents.
- The most dangerous intersection was at East Stop 11 Road and Madison Avenue (southside Indianapolis) with a total of 38 accidents.
- Each intersection averaged approximately 30 per year
Accidents involving intersections have higher death rates and serious injuries
In 2013, Marion County Accident Statistics showed:
- Approximately 29,000 accidents occurred
- 9,700 of these accidents occurred at intersections
- 69 individuals died as a result of the accidents
Roundabouts in Indianapolis and Surrounding Counties Save Lives
As a result, many towns and cities (including Carmel, Westfield, Fishers, Plainfield and Greenwood) have aggressively been installing roundabouts as a way to minimize serious accidents. In the past 10 years Carmel has installed over 80 roundabouts and continues to aggressively install more. Plainfield, Fishers, Westfield and Greenwood have stepped up their installation of roundabouts and Speedway is installing a roundabout at 16th and Crawfordsville Road next to The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
What are the benefits of roundabouts?
Roundabouts save time for the driving public and are much safer than intersections. Statistics show that traffic moves much easier and accidents in roundabouts are generally minor with fewer serious personal injuries.
Experienced Lawyers for pedestrians and bicyclists who have been injured
The lawyers at Ward & Ward Law Firm are experienced litigators of car, motorcycle, bicycle and trucking accidents. While the installation of roundabouts have improved the flow of motorized traffic, the designs may pose some problems for pedestrians and non-motorized vehicles. If you have been hurt by a negligent or careless driver of a vehicle, give Charlie Ward a call at 317-639-9501. We are here to speak with you 24 hours a day. Charlie Ward [email protected]Ward & Ward Law Firm 728 S Meridian St Indianapolis, IN 46225 317-639-9501