Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer Indianapolis, IN
Because tractor-trailers and other commercial trucks are so massive, the injuries that victims who are involved in trucking accidents are usually catastrophic. Many victims end up facing months – if not years – of high medical bills and loss of income from being unable to work while they recover from their injuries. When an Indiana truck accident has left a victim permanently disabled, they often have to pay the high costs of implementing changes to their home in order to make it handicap accessible. In extreme cases, the victim may require the need for home nursing assistants or other medical professionals.
It is because of all these factors that truck accident lawsuits often involve financial compensation that is substantial. This is why it is critical for victims and their families to obtain the help of a seasoned Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer from Ward & Ward Law Firm for help. Because of the astronomical dollar amounts often involved, the trucking company, insurance company, and any other involved at-fault party will do all they can to minimize a victim’s claim. A tractor trailer accident lawyer from our firm will aggressively protect a victim’s rights and fight to get the damages they deserve.
The first step in an accident claim is to show that the negligent act of the other party was responsible for the crash. Some of the more common types of negligence an Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer sees are driver error, failure to maintain and repair the vehicle, and failure to supervise truck drivers. In order to prove that negligence on the part of the at-fault party or parties, a truck accident attorney will use the following as evidence:
- Police reports of the accident
- Any citations issued by the police against the truck driver
- Results from blood alcohol test of the truck driver
- Truck driver log books
- Truck driver personnel file and driving record
- Maintenance records for the vehicle involved in the crash
- Information from any camera or data recorder in the truck
- Witness testimony
Once an Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer has gathered enough evidence to prove fault, the next step will be to show the losses the victim has suffered as a result of the truck accident. Losses can include both economic and noneconomic, as well as past and future losses. These include:
- All medical expenses, including future medical care
- Loss of income
- Loss of future financial losses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent disability
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
In order to prove these losses, a truck accident attorney will use the following as evidence:
- All medical records and medical bills.
- Documentation from the victim’s employer regarding the salary and benefits the victim did not earn because they were unable to work.
- Testimony from doctors and other medical professionals explaining what the victim’s future medical treatments will be and how much those treatments will cost.
- Diaries, journals, or notes that the victim kept which would indicate what their emotional and physical condition was during recovery.
- Psychological evaluations from mental health professionals detailing any emotional issues the victim has suffered as a result of the accident.
- Testimony from the victim, their family, friends, and doctors explaining how the accident and injury have affected the victim’s life.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Large trucks transport a staggering fraction of the food, consumer products, fuel and other commodities that Americans need in order to go about their daily lives. As a result, there are millions of large trucks on U.S. highways and surface streets at any given moment in time. With so many large vehicles navigating the complex web of American roads at all times, collisions are bound to occur. Human error, poorly maintained roads, weather complications and a host of other influences contribute to the regular occurrence of major truck accidents. Therefore, it is important for truck accident victims to understand that they are not alone. Truck accidents occur so frequently that experienced Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyers understand how to handle their aftermath. Even if you are not exactly sure what caused your accident, an experienced Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer can help.
Why Truck Accidents Occur
One of the primary questions that must be answered in regards to every personal injury claim filed is, “What caused the accident in question?” Causation is critical because you can’t hold a party responsible for causing an accident in court if you cannot prove that the individual, business, etc. somehow caused the accident and is therefore likely liable for damages. It is important to understand that an experienced Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer can help you to explore your legal options regardless of what factor(s) may have caused your accident. However, it can be helpful to understand some of the more common causes of trucking accidents as you begin to process what has happened to you.
In 2007, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration released a comprehensive report concerning the causes of trucking accidents in America. Drug use (both prescription and illicit), driver fatigue, speeding, failure to check blind spots, failure to signal and distractions were among the leading causes of truck accidents reported by the FMCSA. With that said, there can certainly be more than one contributing influence when collisions occur.
Legal Guidance Is Available
If you have been injured as a result of a truck-related accident, please do not hesitate to schedule a consultation with an experienced Indianapolis, Indiana tractor trailer accident lawyer today. Truck accidents can be particularly destructive, simply because at least one vehicle involved is unusually large and unusually heavy. Both property-related damage and injuries resulting from these collisions are therefore ordinarily severe. Please do not feel like you have to navigate the legal complexities, insurance headaches and financial burdens of this situation alone. The legal team at Ward & Ward Law Firm is committed to helping accident victims receive as much compensation as possible while minimizing red tape and other administrative and legal stressors. Please allow an experienced Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer to handle the “heavy lifting” in regards to your case. Don’t wait; call now. We look forward to speaking with you.
Contact a Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer in Indianapolis, IN
If you have been injured in any type of truck accident, contact a tractor trailer accident lawyer Indianapolis, IN clients recommend to discuss what legal recourse you may have. Truck accident cases can be complex and it is not uncommon for there to be multiple at-fault parties who are responsible for the payment of financial damages you may be entitled to for your injuries. Call Ward & Ward Law Firm today to find out how we can help.
If you have never been involved in a truck accident case, you might be wondering what your next steps should be after a serious collision. Just because there’s potential to be protected and to recover damages doesn’t mean that filing a claim is a simple process. Truck accidents are complex and there are many regulations and policy limits you might not be familiar with. What Should I Know About Commercial Truck Accidents?
At Ward & Ward Law Firm, we take pride in being on your side. We have the experience our clients deserve when taking on these types of personal injury claims. In many cases, there are several parties involved and multiple parties can be sued for damages. Although this can be very beneficial for accident victims because it allows for more opportunities to collect compensation, it also means that parties might try to shift blame onto each other. In addition, dealing with insurance companies can be difficult because they typically want to make sure they’re paying out the lowest settlement possible. Add this to the complexities of filing any personal injury claim, and the process of seeking fair compensation can become overwhelming.
There are several reasons why you might want to turn to a tractor trailer accident lawyer for counsel.
Three Reasons to Hire Ward & Ward Law Firm to Handle Your Truck Accident Case
- We are attorneys with experience. Here at Ward & Ward Law Firm, you will find attorneys with over 87 years of combined experience. We have been dealing with many types of personal injury cases since opening our firm in 1994. You need someone with experience handling the specifics of tractor trailer accidents. These types of cases generally involve large corporations and big insurance companies; agreeing on a settlement requires someone who has done this before.
- We have a reputable record. If you’ve been involved in a tractor trailer accident in Indianapolis, IN, this is not the time to call the first law firm that comes to mind. You want to carefully choose a law firm that has a record of success. At Ward & Ward Law Firm, our team has received many professional distinctions and awards for exceptional legal service. We’re more than happy to arrange a free consultation with you to discuss how our legal counsel may be beneficial for your claim.
- We fight for you. Here at Ward & Ward Law Firm, we believe in providing our clients with peace of mind and exceptional legal counsel. When dealing with a difficult truck accident case, you want someone who is committed and invested in your case. Truck accidents can take a lot of time and energy, and you need someone for the long-haul. We take pride in serving our clients and we take our cases very personally.
- Find out more about Can I file a wrongful death case following a truck accident?
If you have been involved in an accident with a truck, you do not have to feel overwhelmed by the claims process after the accident. With Ward & Ward Law Firm, you can feel confident that someone is in your corner. It is important to us to protect your rights so that you can focus on protecting your health and well-being.
For more information or to set up a consultation with a tractor trailer lawyer Indianapolis, IN families trust, contact Ward & Ward Law Firm today.
Can I file an Indianapolis, IN wrongful death case following a truck accident?
To lose a loved one is often followed by an extensive period of grief, as a tractor trailer accident lawyer Indianapolis, IN trusts knows all too well. It can be incredibly painful to face the life you once shared with someone following their passing. Trucking accidents don’t often end well. Driving such a large vehicle requires that the driver uses some level of skill and, is alert at all times. Due to the pressures of the trucking industry, it’s not uncommon for drivers to work long hours, resulting in their being heavily fatigued. Filing a wrongful death claim for many may provide a sense of closure for their loss. A tractor trailer accident lawyer in Indianapolis, IN at Ward & Ward Law Firm can help to guide you through the process of taking legal action before time runs out.
Sometimes, the negligent actions of another can have significant consequences. When someone is responsible for an accident that results in the death of a victim, family may have the ability to file a wrongful death suit against the negligent party. Wrongful death cases, attempt to hold the person who caused the accident responsible for their negligence. Close family who were dependent on their loved one may collect damages that may include:
- Lost Wages and Benefits
- Medical Expenses
- Survival Actions- Which account for injuries and suffering your loved one may have experienced following the accident and prior to passing.
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Companionship
- Funeral Expenses
- Punitive Damages
It’s important to note that when determining the award for loved ones, the court will take into account pecuniary loss. Such factors may include, the financial standing of the person who passed, their age, wage, their dependents, etc.
It will be key to take action within the proper time frames outlined by the state in which you live. The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to pursue a wrongful death case after the discovery of your loved ones passing. Once the statute of limitations period has passed, you may no longer have the opportunity to take action. Even if you are feeling unsure of whether you should pursue wrongful death, it may be a good idea to at least start with speaking to an Indianapolis, IN tractor trailer accident lawyer. They may be able to educate you on what to expect out of the process.
Managing loss, especially when unexpected, can have a significant emotional impact on a loved one. Provided that the person who passed away also had a hand in supporting the family financially, the hardships to follow can be even more devastating. Although an tractor trailer accident lawyer in Indianapolis, IN can support you in your wrongful death case, you may consider taking steps that may assist in managing your grief:
- Talk about the person you lost
- Take care of yourself
- Spend time with family and friends
- Seek the support of a therapist
When grieving, you may feel unstable and unprepared to face the roller coaster of emotions that lies ahead. Building your support network, and taking the time to practice self care and mindfulness may make all the difference.
The tragic and unexpected death of a loved one is certain to be devastating. You may be able to experience closure by taking the time to properly care for yourself amidst your grief. Some find that taking legal recourse whenever possible can help provide compensation for the losses suffered by loved ones as a result. If you have recently lost a loved one, and believe that someone may be held responsible, contact an tractor trailer accident lawyer Indianapolis, IN turns to for the guidance you require at the Ward & Ward Law Firm.