Birth Injury Lawyer Indianapolis, IN
When you have a child, you should be ecstatic with happiness, extremely proud and ready to show your beautiful child to the world. But sometimes, there are risk factors or negligence when a baby is being born, that can lead to birth injuries. If your family is heartbroken and dealing with a birth injury to a child, please reach out to a birth injury lawyer in Indianapolis, IN.
Ward & Ward Law Firm has experience in many fields of law, but especially in birth law. With nine decades of experience total, we can handle anything you need. We’ll help you grieve this injury to your child, and we’ll help you figure out what happened—to process it—and demand compensation and that the medical staff or hospital correct their errors.
But what is a birth injury? This is an injury that’s usually physical and occurs when the child is born; not every injury can be avoided but in cases of negligence, the injuries would not have occurred naturally, and should not have occurred at all.
What Are Risk Factors?
Understanding the risk factors that can cause birth injuries can help you to better understand what may have gone wrong. It could be that nothing went wrong, and it was going to happen naturally, but any physician worth their salt should have plans in place to avoid birth injuries.
- If the baby is large, there may be issues having a natural birth.
- The baby is feet-first in the birth canal.
- The baby is born too early or prematurely.
- The size of the mother’s pelvis and birth canal can make it difficult to have a natural birth.
- The labor is difficult or long, like when the contractions are not strong enough to push the baby through the birth canal.
- The mother is overweight.
- The mother opts or requires a Cesarean delivery.
- Devices such as vacuums or forceps are used to deliver the baby.
So, knowing these risk factors, your doctor should be making plans to avoid complications. But what are some of the most common types of birth injuries?
- Swelling of the head.
- Bruising of the head.
- Bleeding underneath a cranial bone.
- Breakage of blood vessels in the infant’s eyes.
- Facial nerve injuries caused by pressure to the child’s face.
- Injury to the child’s brachial plexus nerves.
- Fracture of the clavicle or collarbone.
A birth injury lawyer in Indianapolis, IN can help you determine whether your child’s birth injury was negligence, or unavoidable. Ward & Ward Law Firm will take great care with handling your case, to ensure that we look at every possibility and determine who, if anyone, was at fault and how much compensation the family is entitled to. Let us help bring joy back into your life if you’ve had a child that’s suffered a birth injury. We’ll work with you, answer any questions that you have, and we’ll help you to get answers. Our prerogative is you and your family receiving the help you deserve.
Birth Injury Lawyer Viera, Florida
When you have a child you shouldn’t be worried about finding a birth injury lawyer in Viera, Florida due to a birth injury. What you should be doing is spending time with your little one and taking in the fact that you are a new parent. However, many babies suffer birth injuries every year that result in the child having a disability for the rest of their life. Ward & Ward Law Firm will take great care in your case, and help you determine what can be done.
Difference Between Birth Injuries and Birth Defects
The difference between the two is significant and needed. The main difference between birth injuries and birth defects is how they develop.
A birth injury is what happens when the child is being born. This happens during the birthing process and can be caused by medical negligence. Where a birth defect is caused by abnormalities that form while the child is still in the womb. Typically a birth defect is developed in the first three months of pregnancy.
Knowing the difference will help your lawyer understand your case. Now that you know the difference what are some of the common brain damage injuries that can happen?
Types of Brain Damage From Birth Injuries
As stated these damages are done during or after birth. There are four basic types of brain damage that can be the result of a birth injury. They are as follows:
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): This is when the brain is damaged due to a decreased blood and oxygen levels to the brain. HIE is the description of the brain cells and issues that are in the motor cortex. This leads to cerebral palsy and periventricular leukomalacia. Out of all the injuries on this list, HIE is the most common.
- Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL): PVL is what occurs when the white matter in the brain dies, resulting in the loss of brain tissue. The white matter is made of nerve fibers and they relay singles for motor functions. The death of these areas of the brain affects the ability to learn and function. The lack of blood flow to the periventricular part of the brain is what causes PVL.
- Intracranial Hemorrhage: This is classified as bleeding in the brain. The most common cause is a fetal stroke from blocked or damaged blood vessels. High blood pressure, placenta complications, and system infections in the mother can lead to this. The most common group of infants to suffer from this is premature infants.
- Cerebral Dysgenesis: Direct injury to the baby’s head during or shortly after delivery can cause this. Infections can also mutate genes responsible for motor function as well.
Going through any of these events can lead to a traumatic experience for both you and your baby. Knowing what can be done is up to us, and we want to help you get the most out of your case. If you have gone through a birth injury then reach out to Ward & Ward Law Firm to figure out what we can do for you. Our expert lawyers are on hand to help you, we just need your call.