Who can bring a wrongful death claim?
If your spouse, child, unborn child, parent, or another relative upon whom you depend dies from injuries because of the wrongful act of someone else, you have the right to bring a wrongful death claim against the person or entity responsible, so say the wrongful death attorneys. You may ask, how do I file a wrongful death claim in Indiana?
Filing a wrongful death claim in Indiana
As soon as you are able after the death of your loved one, you should contact the Indianapolis, IN wrongful death attorneys to protect your right to compensation. Your wrongful death attorney will want as much time as possible to investigate the details of the case before filing with the court—do not wait until the last few months before the statute of limitations runs out.
What acts can lead to a wrongful death lawsuit?
According to Indiana law, if your loved one could have maintained a lawsuit against the person who caused his or her injury and death, and if you depended on your loved one for support, then you are entitled to bring a wrongful death suit on his or her behalf.
Typical acts of negligence that may lead to wrongful death include:
- Medical malpractice
- Motor vehicle accidents caused by driving while
Under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Negligent design or hazardous conditions created by a company, building owner, or management
- And other catastrophic injuries resulting from negligence or recklessness
What compensation is available in a wrongful death suit?
Typically, damages permitted in a wrongful death case include:
- Medical, hospital, funeral, and burial expenses;
- Compensation for your loved one’s pain and suffering in any period of consciousness between injury and death;
- And losses suffered including the following:
- financial support;
- loss of service;
- gifts and other valuable gratuities;
- parental training and guidance;
- society and companionship
Skilled Indianapolis personal injury attorneys working to protect your rights
If you recently lost a loved one due to the negligent actions of someone else, the wrongful death attorneys at Ward & Ward can help ensure that you do not suffer needless financial distress in addition to mourning your tragic loss. Ward & Ward Law Firm invites you to contact them as soon as possible to arrange a free initial consultation about your case, by phone at 888-316-3449, through their website, or by visiting their Indianapolis office.
By Charlie WardWard & Ward Law Firm 728 S Meridian St Indianapolis, IN 46225 317-639-9501