Railroad Accidents Lawyers Indianapolis, IN
Can an Attorney Help in a Railroad Transportation Accident?Railroad accidents lawyers in Indianapolis, IN know that trains are enormous pieces of equipment, and people operating them must be extremely careful to protect workers and passengers. If they don’t, an accident causing serious injury or wrongful death may result. If you know someone who has suffered injuries or died as a result of an aviation or railroad accident, speak with the experienced railroad accidents lawyers at Ward & Ward in Indianapolis today. We know what it takes to move ahead with a lawsuit against the parties responsible for your accident.
Understanding railroad safety issuesThe NTSB is also responsible for investigating railroad incidents and ultimately recommending solutions to address some of the top concerns. The most common reasons for accidents include:
- Switch control misalignment. Hand-operated switch controls can be out of alignment, which could cause derailment and serious injuries.
- Poor crew briefing. Crewmembers who do not receive the proper communications may fail to perform duties that could prevent an accident.
- Lack of roadwork coordination. When road or highway crews need to perform work near a railroad crossing, the railroad and the road crews need to communicate and coordinate their efforts. Failing to do so could cause serious or fatal accidents to passengers, motorists and workers.
- You have the right to a safe workplace.
- You have the right to report any OSHA or FRSA violations without being discriminated or retaliated against, or being punished (i.e. being put on an unfavorable shift)
- You have the right to refuse a duty if you believe it puts you in a vulnerable situation that jeopardizes your safety, the safety of another employee, or the safety of the public.
- If you believe your employer has retaliated against you, you have the right to file a whistleblower claim.
- It is your right to obtain workers compensation if your were injured while working on the railways.
- If your injury was caused by negligence, you may have the right to file a claim or lawsuit under the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA). A railroad accident lawyer working in Indianapolis, IN can help you file.
- In a FELA case, your railroad accident lawyer must demonstrate that the railroad company was negligent.
- In a workers compensation case, you can recover damages just for being injured on the job.
- The railroad company has the right to argue comparative negligence in a FELA case.
- If the injured worker is found to be 100% at fault, the cannot recover damages under FELA.
- If the injured worker is not 100% at fault, they can file a lawsuit against the railway company.
- In a workers compensation claim, there is no consideration for comparative negligence.
- A FELA case generally pays out significantly more money than workers compensation.
Call An Experienced Indianapolis lawyer right awayFor more information about how you can seek compensation after a railroad accident, speak with the skilled legal team at Ward & Ward in Indianapolis. We offer free initial consultations and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in case of emergency situations. To find out what you legal options and rights may be, call our office today and speak with one of our tenacious Indianapolis, IN railroad accidents lawyers today!
"We have been very pleased with the Attention that has been extended to us by Charlie Ward. It seems more like a Friendship relation verses the typical Client relation."