What should you do immediately following a truck accident?
In the moments immediately following a trucking accident, most people are understandably shaken. When cars and trucks collide, serious and sometimes fatal injuries result.
Knowing what to do ahead of time can infuse a sense of calm and preparedness into an otherwise chaotic moments
- Medical care – The first priority in any accident is to seek medical attention. Be sure everyone involved is properly examined, and see a medical professional to make sure your injuries are documented. Even if you feel fine initially, it is still important to obtain medical attention as soon as possible since injuries may not be immediately visible.
- Involve the police – In most cases, the police will respond quickly to the scene because of the dangers involved in a truck accident. If possible, find out if any traffic citations are issued, take note of the names and badge numbers of the officers, and obtain a copy of the police report.
- Details from the scene – If at all possible, take notes and photos at the accident scene to document injuries and damage to the vehicles. Note the details of other vehicles involved, and record information about weather and road conditions.
- Witness and driver information – Be sure to collect names and contact information from any witnesses as well as a statement if possible. Also, obtain driver’s license numbers and insurance information from the other drivers. Your attorney can request other crucial evidence, including the truck’s black box, data system, log book, and maintenance records.
- Refrain from speaking about the accident – Do not talk about the accident, admit fault, or place blame. Anything you say can be used against you and may alter the course of your case. Your Indianapolis truck accident attorney should be allowed to view your situation before any further action is taken.
Seek guidance from an experienced truck accident attorney
It is crucial to contact an attorney as soon as possible after the accident. Many cases are won or lost based on the events immediately following an accident. Trucking companies have investigative teams ready to respond to the scene within hours of an accident to try to minimize any damaging evidence. The sooner your Indianapolis truck accident lawyer gets on board, the sooner crucial evidence can be preserved. The impact of a trucking accident can last a lifetime. Having an experienced lawyer who fights for your best interests can make all the difference.
At Ward & Ward Law Firm, we fight for justice for those injured due to the reckless and negligent actions of a driver in any kind of vehicle. Our knowledgeable and experienced Indianapolis trucking accident law firm and personal injury advocates are here to help.
To discuss your personal injury and estate planning matters, contact Charlie Ward of Ward & Ward Law Firm at 317-639-9501 to arrange a free consultation. We are available to speak with you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.